Thursday, January 13, 2005

Projects in Progress


My Hand dyed Merino Wool Silk Blend Socks Posted by Hello

The merino/silk yarn is called Silken Ivory from Henry's Attic. My sister, the weaver, who has been hand dying for years, spent a day teaching me how to hand dye yarns. This was one of my first attempts. See some of the other yarns I dyed that became scarves in previous posts.

This photo really doesn't do the colors justice, nor can you see the sheen in the yarn from the silk and I cannot begin to describe just how luxurious this yarn feels. It looks like I just might have enough to make two pairs!

The method I am using is from Queen Kahuna's Crazy Heels and Toes book, two socks on two circular needles, toe up method.

Other projects that are currently on the needles are:

  1. The Einstein Coat (from The Knit Stitch book by Sally Melville)
    I'm doing the coat in Debbie Bliss Merino and Cotton blend in a Navy Blue and I'm about 2/3rds of the way done.
  2. Another Shawl( I'll post more on that later)
  3. A simple scarf in a cream colored alpaca

I love the hand dyeing process, but with the chemicals I wouldn't dare do it any place but outdoors. Since I am limited to only dyeing during the better months (note I live in the Northeast) I think I want to try some kool-aid dyeing soon. Definitely when the next order of my favorite Silken Ivory comes in!

1 Comments:

At 1:53 AM, Blogger Hi Hawaii House Cleaning said...

Creative blog. I just kept looking at it over and
over! Im always looking for blogs like this!
Check out my fl florida house cleaning blog, you won't be sorry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home