Friday, February 04, 2005

Tangled up and blue

Ok, so I've been finishing of a lot of my projects, and only have 2 left on the needles - my Einstein Coat and an alpaca hat that I'm not sure I'm going to continue on or frog. So I was looking for a new project to start last night, because I need to have something going that travels well, and the coat project is just getting too big to haul around.

There has been so much chatter about the Clapotis Scarf/Shawl so I went online to take a look at it again and I really love the pattern. So I picked up some yarn out of the stash just do kind of test out the pattern and lo and behold I find I've been knitting incorrectly all these years! Can you believe it! I didn't know if I should laugh or cry over it. And I can't believe that after knitting for 20+ years I hadn't figured this out sooner.

Apparently I've been knitting in the back of the stitch and tossing the yarn backwards all along. My stitches always look neat and weren't twisted in anyway. But wouldn't you know this totally surprised me and somewhat depressed me. Sigh....

I did however start another scarf - a mock cable rib.

Now at first I just figured well that's that - I'll never do the Clapotis :( it was either that of try to retrain myself to break the habit and learn a new way to knit. Then I thought - heck if I'm going to do that, then maybe I'll sign up for a class at my LYS and learn how to knit continental! Why not! It's never too late to learn new tricks! Besides any excuse to get out of the house for a few hours of scheduled knitting can't be bad.

And I do have to send out a special thanks to the Knit-Chicks online who let me whine about this this morning. They are a great bunch of chicks and we are having lots of fun and getting lots of encouragement from each other.

And then wonder of wonders I realized that this weekend was Super Bowl weekend! Yahoo... not that I'm not rooting for our Patriots, but I'm just not a big football fan. What is REALLY good though about Super Bowl Sunday is the yarn sale at another LYS - and besides if I am going to take the plunge and retrain myself to knit correctly I might as well be knitting something I like... a lot... which also means that I'll just HAVE to find the perfect yarn to knit it in. Right!? Ok, so this sounds like I'm rationalizing... who cares as long as I have an excuse to buy more yarn. Speaking of that, I'd better start making a list of other projects I want to do, just in case I find the perfect yarn that begs me to take it home with me.

Well that's the emotional roller-coaster ride for now.

Have a great weekend!

3 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, Blogger Kitten said...

Ah, yarn rationalization. It's a dangerous addiction, isn't it? I'm not sure what it is about Clapotis that has everyone buzzing. I don't particularly get it, but that's just me. So, worry not!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Katy said...

You don't knit "incorrectly"...just "differently"! lol
Seriously, I love Annie Modesitt's book (Confessions of a Knitting Heretic) and her philosophy that you can knit however you want, once you understand how to "read" your knitting. But taking classes is always fun!

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Mi Michigan House Cleaning said...

Suitable blog, its very good. I liked the site its
from so much I have to visit it again! I surf the web
for blogs like yours in my spare time.
Click on my ar arkansas house cleaning blog before its to late.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home