Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Startitis...

Well this past weekend didn't really go well. I was waiting for my daughter (for an hour and a half) so I sat there knitting contentedly on my Clapotis #2. This one I was doing in a worsted weight NZ wool, that was a lovely deep purple and midnight blue variegated. I continued knitting on it Saturday morning and had reached the dropping stitches portion of the pattern. But I had errands to do, and housework too. Oh to be rich enough to pay someone else to do the work so I could sit on my butt and knit all day. But alas I had to do the drudgery myself and figured that the faster I could finish up, the quicker I could get back to my knitting.

So, upon returning to the 'Clappy' I got to the point where I dropped my 5th stitch and lo and behold I see I had made a big old boo-boo about 7 inches back. Feh!# Any way, I couldn't think straight and was not only peeved at myself but didn't want to tink back, nor did I want to try to pick up stitches having just dropped 5 of them, so I just looked at for a bit then frogged the whole damn shawl back.

I was so mad at myself and too tired to restart the Clappy, I just dug through the stash and came up with some cotton and started knitting a dishcloth. I haven't knit dishcloths is years, but it was therapeutic I must say. Or as Kitt for Knit Chick put it "Aren't dishcloths the greatest pout reliever"... I guess they are! LOL!

So I just finished up the dishcloth. Now I need to start something else. Although I guess I really should start working on my Einstein coat as there really isn't much more of the last body piece to knit then it's just the sleeves and finishing. It would be nice to be have for Spring.

Speaking of Spring... it's SNOWING again and temps are supposed to drop in to the single digits again by tomorrow. I'm really done with this weather, between the crappy winter weather and the snarky teen I want to run away from home. Preferably somewhere warm with cabana boys that bring umbrella drinks to me on the beach.


Speaking of beaches and running away. Someone sent this to me today and it made me smile, in spite of the nasty weather outside.

Subject: NO NURSING HOME FOR ME!


About two years ago my wife and I were on a cruise through the western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room. I noticed that all the staff, ship officers, waiters, busboys, etc. All seemed very familiar with this lady.
I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back to back. As we left the dining room one evening, I caught her eye and stopped to say hello.
We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship for the last four cruises." She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I don't understand" and she replied without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing home."


So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a Princess cruise ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 a day.
I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a long term discount and
senior discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.


2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week.)
3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers and shows every night.


4. They have free toothpaste, razors, soap and shampoo.


5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.


6. I will get to meet new people every 7 to 14 days.


7. TV broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day and you don't even have to ask for them.


9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip, you are on Medicare. If you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship, they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.


Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia or name where you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.
P.S.: And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at no charge!


I guess I like this idea :) Not to mention that now that I have the nursing home situation all settled and no longer have to worry about my kid picking out a place for me, I guess I can be a bitch right back at her now. LOL!


Back to startitis...

I've been wondering, how other people pick their patterns, is the style the color of the yarn, the kind of yarn, or something else?

And once you do pick out the pattern to knit do you always use the suggest yarn? So you always do it exactly as show, even down to the same color?

I'm not sure what draws me to a particular pattern, sometimes it's any of the above, or the ease of the pattern, I'm not sure exactly. But I do know that I hardly ever use the yarn suggested (although almost always I do it in the same weight) and I rarely if ever do the project in the same color, and I would be just as happy if all the patterns were only shown in black and white.

Well I guess that's it for now, I really have to get back to doing some 'real' work. BTW, if you haven't checked out Stitchy McYarnpants March 3rd blog entry - do it! But I will warn you not to have and liquid in your mouth at the time, you will spew it all over your computer screen. It's just hilarious. Enjoy.

2 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

You should post the question about what draws you to a pattern on knitting-chicks... it'd be a good thread.
I hear you about clappy... I'm working on a sweater and made the sleeve 2" too short. I have lost all motivation to frog back and begin on it again. I had bound off and everything. UGH! Good luck!
Melanie

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Kitten said...

I think the biggest thing that draws me to a pattern is the potential it has, not what it's shown as.

If it looks beautiful as it is, I'm less likely to be drawn to it. If it's got some hidden beauty that I can bring out by modifying it, then I'm more likely to do it.

That being said, I don't outright ignore the patterns with obvious, immediate beauty.

I guess I really am a designer at heart.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home