Tuesday, March 22, 2005

There really are some things more important than knitting.

I'm sending a couple of files to friends today. One is a blank format for a Living Will. The other is the link to your States form for a durable power of attorney for health care or disability.

As has most of the country, I've been following the Terri Shiavo case. For me, it was a wakeup to make sure that my wishes are clearly written down and that I have specified *exactly* who I wish to make decisions for me if I reach a point when I can't make them for myself.

The forms are very easy to fill out--they required your name and address and the names and addresses of your choicen agents who will speak for you when you no longer can.

The Living Will form doesn't make as strong a statement about appointing an agent, but it makes it perfectly clear that I would not want to be kept alive if I were essentially dead. The Durable Power of Attorney specifically states who would make decisions for me if I were physically incapacitated.

The state-specific forms can be found here. If you want a formatted Word document, you have to pay for it. The document text is available, though, and you can cut and paste the text into a document yourself.

To *execute* these documents, all you need to do is have them notarized. Many companies have notaries employed; almost any bank will have one as well.

I wish good health to everyone, but in the event that something tragic happens, keep the government out of my business, and away from my body. I'll make special arrangements with those of you (you know who you are) who will help me end my suffering if need be. I firmly believe that we all have the power and right to chose the time of our death to end needless suffering and eliminate any unnecessary burdens both emotionally and financially on our loved ones.

This case had succinctly pointed out the potential travasty that can occur when people don't talk to their family and friends about their wishes in an open and sincere way, then record them in legal documentation.

4 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Thank you for posting this info! I keep meaning to take care of this, but have never gotten around to it. Now, I will.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger KnitNana said...

Thank you for making it easy to find this information. Keeping the government out of my personal decision-making with regard to my body has been a lifelong commitment of mine.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Kelly D said...

I appreciate your knowledge on this subject. it is near and dear to my heart since we just went thru a similar thing with my uncle, who since has passed. I dont want anyone making decisions for me!!

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Ga Georgia House Cleaning said...

Fascinating blog. I loved the site you did a good
job on it, I will be back! I surf the net for blog
like this one.
Stop by and visiit my nv nevada house cleaning blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home